International Applicants

For reporting purposes, international applicants are those who, at the time they submit an application, either:

  1. Received their undergraduate degree outside the U.S.
  2. Are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents

Because the Berkeley MBA for Executives Program is a part-time program, we are unable to assist with student visas. Typically, our students work with their employer to assist with a visa. The common visa types that we see are L1 and H1B. We cannot issue an F-1 student visa.

Additionally, applicants who received their degrees in countries other than the U.S., UK, Australia, English-speaking Canada, or Singapore are required to take the TOEFL exam or the IELTS exam. Tests taken before June 2021 will not be accepted.

International applicants should follow the standard procedures for applying, as well as those listed below:

Minimum Academic Requirements for International Applicants

The minimum graduate admission requirement includes a bachelor's degree or recognized equivalent from an accredited institution. Graduates of recognized academic institutions outside the United States should have completed degree programs representing a minimum of 16 years of schooling with at least 12 years at the primary and secondary levels. Please feel free to contact our office to discuss your educational background if you are unsure about your eligibility.

Required Academic Records

Applicants are required to submit official records from each academic institution attended after secondary/high school. All official academic records must be issued in the original language and accompanied by English translations prepared by the issuing institution.
  • Official records are original documents issued by the institution that bear the original stamp or embossed seal of the issuing institution and the stamped or signed signature of the appropriate authorizing official. All other documents are unofficial and will not be accepted.
  • If your institution awards a provisional degree certificate, we ask that you please provide only the final degree certificate, as provisional degree certificates will not be accepted.

Should you be recommended for admission, you will be required to provide our office with the original official records within one week of your application decision.

Non-English Transcripts

If you are in the United States and have only an official copy of your academic records or diploma certificate in the original language, only translations prepared by an ATA Certified translator from the American Translators Association are acceptable. For more information and the directory of members, consult the ATA website.

Credential evaluations prepared by other schools or private agencies cannot be submitted in place of original academic records and diploma certificates.

If you completed an undergraduate program outside of the U.S., please review the English Language Proficiency Requirement information on our page for international applicants

English Language Proficiency

Applicants who received their degrees in countries other than the U.S., UK, Australia, English-speaking Canada, or Singapore are required to take the TOEFL exam or the IELTS exam.

  • This includes applicants with degrees from Bangladesh, Burma, Nepal, India, Pakistan, Latin America, the Middle East, North Africa, the People's Republic of China, Taiwan, Japan, Korea, Southeast Asia, and most European countries.
  • Residence in the US does not waive this requirement.

However, if at the time you are applying you have already completed at least one year of full-time academic coursework with grades of "B" or better in residence at a recognized US institution, you do not need to take a standardized English language proficiency test. Instead, you must submit an official transcript from the recognized U.S. institution. The following courses will not fulfill this requirement:

  • Courses in English as a Second Language
  • Courses conducted in a language other than English
  • Courses that will be completed after you apply
  • Courses of a non-degree or non-academic nature

Language Proficiency Exams: TOEFL/IELTS

There are two standardized tests you may take: the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), and the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) assessment. No exceptions will be granted. Exams must be taken on or after June 1, 2021.

  • We accept TOEFL scores from tests administered by the Educational Testing Service and sent to us directly by the TOEFL office. 
  • Your most recent score must be at least 90 for the Internet-based TOEFL.
  • TOEFL Institution Code: 4833-02

TOEFL is administered by the Education Testing Service. You can obtain detailed information from the TOEFL website. To schedule an appointment for the computer-based test in the United States or Canada, call 1-800-GO-TOEFL.

  • You can submit scores from the Academic Modules of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) administered by the British Council worldwide.
  • You are responsible for providing us with an official paper Test Report Form (TRF) of your IELTS.
  • Remember to order the TRF when you register to take the test.
  • Your most recent overall BAND score must be at least 7 on a 9-point scale.

To register for the IELTS, consult the IELTS website or contact the office of the test center where you plan to take the test.

Mail supplemental materials to:

Berkeley MBA for Executives Program Admissions
Haas School of Business
430 Student Services Bldg #1910
Berkeley, CA 94720-1910

Next: Class Profile →

Sergio Rojas

Dadoo & Asociados
Mexico City, Mexico

"I know that the give is as important as the take. The program has allowed me to join a community where I will have the opportunity to share my experiences and perspectives while I also benefit from learning the perspectives of classmates who come from different backgrounds and industries."